I was going to compile a list of funny YouTube comments, but then I came across a debate between some kids who think our own government planned 9/11 and kids who do not.
I just want to write this down so I know I said it:
9/11 was not an inside job and, for the record, JFK was not killed in a government-run conspiracy plot.
Why do I know this? Because the basis for any conspiracy theory is simply fear. And that fear often makes people see things they want to see, even if they aren't really there. It's far more comforting to believe in secret government conspiracies, because those imply someone has control and we know who they are. The terrifying truth is this: No one has control.
The cultural anthropologist Margaret Mead once said "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Of course, she intended people to think of making positive changes in their world, but not everyone in the world has good intentions for other people, and the bad people are just as powerful when driven by an idea.
Yes America, it is possible for one angry little man from New Orleans to assassinate a president and change history. With the right amount of planning, nineteen angry men can board three commercial airliners and murder 3,000 Americans, changing our country forever.
The best we can do is thank God that these tragic events rarely unfold, and be brave enough to embrace the freedom we're so proud of, no matter how dangerous or scary it may be sometimes.
Wednesday, November 28
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment