Thursday, November 29

I LoveThe Spice Girls

I know it's a controversial thing to say, but I do. I always have. I still know all the words to all their songs, and the following performance changed my life as a 12 year old. I still know this dance by heart:



LOOK AT WHAT THEY ARE WEARING! If anything, the Spice Girls proved to me that if you seriously don't care what other people think you CAN wear anything you want. I started wearing platform shoes not long after this. I bought a union jack shirt (they didn't sell dresses), that I still own and wear because of Ginger's dress.

That said, there is a new Spice Girls video on the loose. The song is awful, but the video itself proves a valid point: 35 year olds are hot, and the world isn't ready for it.
Much like when they met the royal family looking like drag queens, eyebrows are raising at the sight of all five women in racy lingerie, fondling themselves and each other.

While I'm willing to concede that the lingerie is a bit much (I didn't know Posh was a dominatrix), I think this demonstrates a fatal flaw in pop culture: The older you get the less hot you are, no matter how you look.

This is why I like the Spice Girls: They're grown ups. I've always found the Scarlett Johansons and Britney Spears(es?) of the world to be a tad depressing. Those girls were well under 18 when they started being ogled and dressed up in sexy little outfits, and I think that that is just wrong.

But the Spice Girls have never made me feel uncomfortable with how they look. Largely because they are older than I am, and so I am okay with them being as sexual as they want to be. They are women, real women. It's inspiring, almost, to watch the Spice Girls because you know they are old enough to understand and truly appreciate their sexuality. Different than say, Britney Spears humping a giant snake at the VMAs or any "Girls Gone Wild" video. I mean, at 18 or 20, how much does anyone really "appreciate" about sex or even their own body?

The Spice Girls look AMAZING in the new video. The oldest member, Geri, is 35, yet people reviewing this video online are still saying things like "No matter what they have tried to attempt here, they look like soccer moms to me." Really?? Because I didn't know your sex-o-meter ran out at 30. If that's true, I better get to strippin', because it looks like I've only got about 8 good years left on me.

Crap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow. yes. i love the spice girls! especially Baby spice!